Saturday 30 August 2014

Why would I be insulted?

     I'm a classic movie buff.  Kind of rare for a girl my age, but its just another part of little ol' me!  I can remember being small and dreaming of being Gregory Pecks wife some day.  I was heart broken when it was explained to me why that could never take place....poor Gregory was quickly replaced with Charlton Heston when I saw Ben Hur who was later replaced by Yul Brynner after seeing the king and I.

     I wanted to have the style and grace of Audrey, the class and intelligence of Katharine.  If you had of asked me what my favorite moves were when I was 8 I would have told you "My Fair Lady, African Queen, the Quiet Man, and the Bells of Saint Mary's"  I really haven't changed much.  There may be a few newer titles added to my favorite movie list, but the old black and whites still are a favorite.

     Recently someone told me that they had found a site that offered free viewing of old classic films.  "it made me think of you" they said, and then quickly followed it with "no insult intended".  I was confused to where the unintended insult was.  To be quiet honest I think I would be more insulted with a newer movie collection made someone think of me.  Sex, violence, please don't even get me started on the dialect, woman half clothed and recycled stories modernized.  Please compare me to the old movies.  Let the triple threat actors/actresses of those days (most sang, danced and acted), the eloquently spoken, remind you of me.  Trust me........I won't be insulted.......in fact right now I think i'm inspired.  I'm making a date with Gene Kelly and watching An American in Paris..............

I got rhythm, I got music, i got my man
who could ask for anything more?
I've got daisies in green pastures
I've got my man
who could ask for anything more?


Yul Brynner


Audrey
 Katherine Hepburn
 Charlton Heston
(sighs) Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday , who could not love those beautiful eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment