Monday 18 August 2014

2 years later and I still think of you every day

   I promised a while back that I would make a copy the the eulogy I wrote and read at my grandmothers funeral for some family members.  Instead I am choosing to write it here as the anniversary of her death nears, so that you all my share in the wonderful woman who had such a major influence in my life.






     I've never thought of a world without my grandmother before.  She was always such a huge part of my world.   To those of us that knew Nanny best she was ageless, active, outgoing and adventurous up to her last days.  

     She was a mother, a grandmother, a great grandmother, wife, friend.  A woman who never minded pushing back the furniture to wrestle one of her boys or dance when ever the right partner was near.

     She could chase you through the house and yard at break neck speed, not stopping you from causing havoc but helping you create a bit of it.  Its no wonder so many loved to be near her, and if you've ever shopped with her you know what I mean.  Every five minute trip to the mall became an hour as she greet friend after friend.  Imagine my surprise when the same thing happened in Moncton while she was visiting.

     She was active in her community, a person who could sit and discuss politics as well as the many places in the world she had been, the children she brought along, and the trouble she caused.  I know those in the family all just thought of her adventures in Egypt.

     I know everyone of us has a favorite Egypt story, and the stories never changed.  Each time it was told with humor, honestly and passion as she described how she engaged a guard in conversation and persuaded him to open an ancient scroll so she could "take a little peek".  Or how she jumped the museums velvet ropes to sit on one of the ancient thrones.  She was the strongest woman i have ever met.  She could and had put a full grown son on his back when he caught her by surprise.  A woman who when placed in a foreign country with 3 small children, made a friend, bought groceries, and made dinner within a few hours.  

     She was filled with stories and cherished and remembered everything of our past and present, keeping us all connected to one another like one of her beautiful quilts.  Her faith was unshakeable.  She prayed daily for friends and family, believing with all her heart that God was listening to every word she said.  For 8 years she prayed i would have a child, and when i shared my doubts with her she would tell me "God and I are still talking it over".  When I told her i was 3 months along she just smiled knowingly and said "I knew it would happen in God's time"

     She was ecstatic one night after praying to find her knees hurt and rushed to the phone to call one of her children to see if their legs were still in pain.  She was so happily certain that God releaved her daughters pain and gave it to her as she prayed for.  So willing and lovingly wanting to help her family from anything that troubled them.

     When my grandfather passed, I can remember my grandmother holding me, comforting me through her own grief.  She told me that no one really dies.  With a faith as strong as ever she said we will all meet each other again.  Strong, healthy, with no tears, no pain, only love and joy.  She told me that in till that day we meet them again, that they are still with us in love and memory.  I can so easily remember the comfort her words brought me and how much closer i felt to my grandfather again.

     With that in mind i'd like to share the things that will keep my grandmother forever with me.  Nanny will forever be cool soft hands against a fevered brow, honey on a peanut butter sandwich, pushing back the furniture just because you need to dance, the joy of seeing an old friend, the hope when making a new one.  She will forever be sudden bursts of laughter, a warm quilt on a snowy day, the sound of a breaking ginger snap and pancakes cooking early in the morning.  Shes long walks at sundown, church on Sunday, and cutting down a Christmas tree just to name a few.

     I will feel her every time i hug my son for no reason besides the fact i'm blessed to have him, and every squeal of delight he has on a Christmas morning (remember nanny laughing and playing with the whoopee cushion all through Christmas?)

     I can hear my grandmother telling all of us that the tears we cry aren't for her, she not in pain, and finally with my uncle Darrell and Grampy again.  She would say we are crying for ourselves and what we miss.

     As usual your right Nanny, but your an awful lot to miss.  Thank you for every moment, for everything.  I love you so much.....till we meet again.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment