Wednesday 6 August 2014

Be the Change

16 YEARS I've been having this argument.  "Mary-Anne its a nice thought but one person cannot change the world" to which i always reply "BULLSHIT".  Ok so maybe I follow Lennon's song imagine a little to closely.  Maybe to some I'm naive by thinking that being honest, kind, and loving to even those that don't deserve it may change my corner of the world.  I'm the girl who will cry when shes sees war coverage on t.v, I try to save abandoned animals despite my husbands protests, and those starving children commercials kill me. 

I believe ONE person can make a difference!  I believe ONE person can set an example so strong that it leads an army of people to do the same.  True, the change normally comes when there is an army of voices making the needed cry for change, but it starts with ONE voice.

So in the effort of putting this argument to rest, here are the people I inspire to. People who changed the course of the whole world for the better with their example and their voice.



1. Jesus Christ - central figure in Christianity.  (and before someone writes me about the wars that take place over Christianity, read your bible, that may be what is taking place but that is NOT what was taught)
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also"  Mathew 5:39
2. Martin Luther King - NON-VIOLENT civil rights leader (which leads to another argument that the greatest leaders for change can do so without violence.  When we use violence for change all we recall is the act of violence, not the mission)



3.  Nelson Mandela -  Need I say more?


4.  Ghandi - 

5. Mother Teresa - 

6. Albert Einstein - 
Now these are My heroes, my inspiration for change, but a great many others changed the world for the better and the worse.  Adolf Hitler, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, it all began with one person inspiring many, and this is where the ONE person makes a change.  

I leave you with one last thought from Gandhi that I try, and sometimes fail to live up to "BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE".  I may not change the world in my life time...........but i haven't given up the hope.






Imagine there is no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people

Living for today


Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace


You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you will join us
And the world will be as one


Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world


You, you may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you will join us
And the world will live as one

Songwriters
Lennon, John


No comments:

Post a Comment