Thursday 7 August 2014

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path

     Ok, I know this one is going to be a touchy subject.  Let me start by first saying this, everything written in this blog is MY opinion, they are MY thoughts, MY feelings, MY questions.  I am not asking you to read, nor am I asking you to agree with anything I'm saying...lol....I'm not even saying I'm right opinions are like bums everyone has one!
   I am by no means looking to offend anyone, I'm simply looking for a place to express myself and enjoy all of you that have joined me on this journey of self exploration (not as dirty as it sounds) and growth.  So if you read this an you are looking to discuss my opinion by all means leave a comment, feel free to disagree, to agree or even question. If your reading this and look to fight about it..........keep looking, i'm done wasting my time fighting, as I said.....I'm not looking to change anyone's mind.  With all this said...........isn't sad that almost every conversation on religion must start this way?

     I was raised very old school Roman Catholic.  I attended catechism, I took my first communion, I grew up knowing the priest in my church, singing in choirs, saying my rosary (I can say a Hail Mary in under 6secs), and I actually know what the saying "putting on your Sunday clothes" means.  My mother (such a hippy at heart) believed that ones relationship with God was personal. "You tell your father you love him, I tell your father I love him, his mother tells your father she loves him, we all express it differently but its all still love for your father" she would say to me "the same is for God, choose how best to express your faith, choose what best helps you to express your faith, its all love for the same God."

     She had two requirements tho.  1.  That I continued to learn in till old enough to make the decision for myself, and 2. That it be a Christian faith.  Up to the age of 19 I attended choir practice, often sang at 3 different churches on Sunday, and attended youth group, the thought of what religion best defined me, or the thought of reading my bible for myself instead of the what was asked of me through church never really occurred to me.  It was only while attending College I began to question what I was told and what was written.  I've been privileged and open minded enough thanks to my mother to study with alot of different religions.  I've attended classes with Jehovah witnesses and the Morman faith.  I've question Priests,  Missionaries, Seventh Day Adventist,I even had the chance, which was amazing, to studied with a Jewish friend. For a year I would attend church at a different faith every Sunday, and I read, I began reading my bible every day.  I've read the Dead Sea Scrolls and studied.  If this was the bases for my morals shouldn't I know why?  I needed something more then just because the Man/Woman at the pulpit said so.

     I wish I could tell you that I've found all my answers.  That I walked into a church and my heart started to sing i suddenly felt so close to God.  (Remember when Elisabeth was pregnant with John the Baptist and Mary came to visit her pregnant with Jesus?  Luke 1:41 At the sound of Mary's greeting, Elizabeth's child leaped within her, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, I kept waiting for that to happen!)

  The truth is i'm nothing more then a babe to the Heavenly Father, I'm still learning and growing and figuring out whats right for me.  Till then I walk my own path and try to do what I think is best.   I keep in mind Jeremiah 31:33 "But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day," says the LORD. "I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will writethem on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.



No comments:

Post a Comment