Sunday 27 July 2014

You Won't Change me

You Won't Change me

     I'm a fan of musicals, and old musicals at that.  This after noon while cleaning I slipped on my ear pods and let music take me away into a complete fantasy world.  The voices of Broadway filled my ears and soon, despite my sons protests) I was doing my own version of jazz hands and singing along.  Marry the Man Today (Guys and Dolls.........LOVE IT) came on and I admit I sang a little louder and got a little aggressive with my chores as I kept rhythm.
Marry the man today. 
Trouble though he may be 
Much as he likes to play 
Crazy and wild and free 
Marry the man today 
Rather than sigh in sorrow 
Marry the man today 
And change his ways tomorrow.

I sang along and suddenly stopped as the two ladies sang that last line.  I've sung the song a million times, watched the play a million more and yet its the first time this line had really sunk in.  

When we first meet someone its the differences that draw us, that fascinate us, that excite us about them.  Yet, and yes I will admit this for my own marriage as well, as the years pass we begin to criticize these differences and urge them to become more of what we want then what they are.  How many times have you yourself or heard another say of their significant other "I wish they would......... why can't they be more like....."  I know in my marriage my husband offers "constructive criticism" on ways that I could improve and I will admit that I myself do the same to him.  Its only upon hearing that last line that I realized.......I'll never change him, and whoever reads this with a longing to change someone.....you won't change them either!

Change is not impossible, I've seen many people traveling a bad road who with hard work and effort changed their course, but change, real change comes from within.  You can/they can, preach to you constantly about what you should change, how you should act, what you should think, but in till you decide to do it , it just won't happen.

You can't change the person you may want to..........only they can change themselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment