Friday 4 September 2015

What type of Mother am I?

   So the story begins like this.  I wake up after only a few hours sleep to my beautiful little boy telling me its time to get up.  My body is awake and I can feel it moving but i'm pretty certain my brain is back in my bed.  I stumble to the coffee machine and begin preparing a pot so that I can mange to function.

"Mom I'm hungry" I hear him say behind me
"Darrell one second momma's making a pot of coffee"
"but moooooooom I'm hungry"  ok, its only been 12 hours since he last ate.  How do I know this for certain?  Cause I had to clean the cheesy mess from his chest when he feel asleep the night before eating them.  I'm not a doctor but i'm damn near positive the child isn't going to die of starvation after 12 hours.
"One more minute Darrell I'm just making a pot of coffee"
I'm almost done, I just need to scoop the coffee into the filter and press that glorious little red button that will fill my house with the smell of the fresh brew.  That's when I hear it........that beautiful little voice, the person I love most out of every one in the world utter the words that could have been his death sentence.  EXSPECIALLY since I haven't had that cup of coffee I've been craving!!!

"Your going to make coffee before feeding me?  What type of mother are you?"

It was one of those stunned silence moments, I swear I paused with the coffee scope in mid air before I turned around and looked at the blonde hair child behind me.  That sweet innocent 7 year old face staring up at me waiting for an answer.  I've always believed if he was old enough to ask he was old enough to receive a truthful answer, though when he's asked about where babies come from I made it sound a lot prettier then it is.  And truth was he was asking me a question now and deserved an answer.  What type of mother was I?

     Well, I'm the type of mother that when all odds where stacked against you I never left your side.  I refused to believe what facts where telling me cause I believed with all my heart that you could beat the odds.  i'm the type of mother that went without food, without sleep, without giving in to my own heartache because you came first and always would.

     I'm the type of mother who has given up a life outside of you, who's taken every odd hour job just so she can have the pleasure, the pure honor of tucking you into bed every night and being there in the morning just to see you wake.

     I'm the type of mother who has forsaken that 20 min bath when my back is killing me because you really need me to help you beat that video game level, or help you build Bennys space ship space ship space ship (yes it has to be said 3 times watch the movie) because its worth the self sacrifice to see you smile.

     I'm the type of mother who has forsaken her sanity and watched the same movie 80 times in a row because you just LOVE it.

     I'm the type of mother who forgets what its like to have an adult conversation because I've completely committed every inch of my life, my very being, to you little man, and have done so with a willing and loving heart.
 
These are the things I wished I had said to my son, wished I calmly explained to him, but lets face it, it was 830am and I hadn't even finished making my coffee yet let alone had a cup.  The response he got?

"I'm the type of mom who's about to put her foot in your butt, go to your room"

ok........................................so maybe I have some things to work on

No comments:

Post a Comment